We draw our inspiration from the rich heritage and wealth of knowledge in Ayurveda. Eminent western scientists and medicos have further reinforced it through their parallel teachings. And lastly, the points of our inspiration are
- Our BELIEF in GOD and
- Our Scientific Approach to evolve solutions.
The adjoining 10 slides Presentation of about one & half minutes provides you a glimpse of our inspiration source for launching this initiative to help society reverse the oncoming diabetes / high sugar / obesity / heart diseases epidemic !
Why & How
Here, we bring to table as to why and how the need for developing these products and taking this initiative was felt & fulfilled. In short, the genesis of the purpose is elaborated here.
Some alarming statistics and points from World Health Organisation (WHO) report :
- Every year, about 2.8 million die from being obese
- High cholesterol accounts for roughly 2.6 million deaths.
- 5 million die because of high blood pressure.
- Type 2 diabetes associated with a 10 years shorter life expectancy ; and
- 5 million deaths due to diabetes whereas 3.7 million because of high blood sugar.
WHO Global report on diabetes says that the number of adults living with diabetes has almost grown 4 times in 35 years since 1980 to 2015. Therefore, diabetes happens to be the greatest global health challenge of 21st century with 422 million people suffering from diabetes worldwide. 60% of diabetes population of the world is in Asia. India too has become the world capital of diabetes with 20-25% of diabetes population of the world coming from India. So, for India too, it is a great challenge with about 90 million diabetes population already in India. Which implies about 90 million more pre-diabetic and another 90 million overweight/obese and with dyslipidemia, but yet to develop pre-diabetes. That makes the total population under the dark shadow of high blood sugar to be about 270 million i.e. 20% of our population , which is alarmingly high ! and a serious wake up call.
This dramatic rise in diabetes and heart diseases is attributed to factors such as overweight, obesity, high cholesterol, wrong eating habits, wrong lifestyles & also adverse effects of certain medications. Diabetes complications can lead to state of fatigue, insufficient immunity causing frequent illnesses, heart attack, stroke, blindness, kidney failure, lower limb amputation, cancer, alzimers. And these complications in spite of regular medications !
Because, high blood sugar is like a SILENT TERRORIST. You CAN NOT DO A SURGICAL STRIKE of this SILENT TERROR ! It has to be dealt with by GANDHIAN WAY only.
Nonviolent ! i.e. ….
- By means of mainly food & lifestyle. (The WHO report encourages all individuals to eat healthily, be physically active, and avoid excessive weight gain.)
- Medicines, where and if required ; and which are completely friendly to the internal body systems and cause no harm. Ayurveda does offer such medicines !
Since Obesity, Cholesterol, Pre-Diabetes, Diabetes, Cardiovascular Diseases are all known to be correlated & inter-connected to one another, steps to either prevent them or manage them with long term dietary and life style changes is the key to avoid future chronic complications.
Dietary changes for Diabetes Management have given rise to Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT), which is proclaimed, now, by institutions like American Diabetes Association and American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists through Clinical Practice Guidelines from 2011 onwards.
One of the things the food therapy (MNT) is supposed to achieve is blood glucose control also called as glycemic control, which requires one to eat LOW GI foods as a daily meal habit.
Improved blood glucose control comes from following factors in the food formulation :-
- Carbohydrate system that decreases sharp postprandial glucose peaks and lessens glycemic variability
- High soluble and insoluble fibre content that improves lipid profile, promotes bowel health because
- Soluble fibre dissolves into a gel-like texture, helping to slow down digestion, which helps one feel full longer and is one reason why fibre helps with weight control.
- Insoluble fibre does not dissolve at all and helps add bulk to your stool which helps food to move through one’s digestive tract more quickly for healthier elimination.
- Fibre also helps increase satiety & reduce hunger spikes / frequent cravings for food/tea/coffee
- Heart healthy fat contents – no cholesterol , no trans fats
But blood sugar control alone can not improve diabetic condition. Our ancient science Ayurveda defines diabetes in terms of “Prameha” and clearly spells out the patho-physiology of obesity, pre-diabetes, diabetes and complications with their treatment in which food therapy is essentially recommended.
Moreover, human being is a slave of good, mouthwatering, delicious tastes. He will not sustain food habits, which are healthy, but do not satisfy taste, variety, existing practices, flexibility as per traditional cooking etc. And this is more true for an Indian, who happens to be more fussy about the food tastes and styles. Therefore, designing and developing sustainable food items, which can form a Healthy Habit in Daily Meals was identified as a major need of the above mentioned 270 million target people !! If diabetes epidemic coming in India is to be reversed, this is what is needed badly.
The research and development project with perspective as above was undertaken by Dr. Jyoti Shirodkar ( M.D. , Ph.D. in Ayurveda) from 2009 to 2014, wherein all this knowledge above along with wisdom of Ayurveda was applied to experiment vigorously various combinations and develop a process and product formulation which will help address the need of appropriate healthy food as a healthy habit in daily meals for the 270 million target people of India to begin with. And that is the Genesis of our Inspiration.